Official UK partner to the Paradors, Pousadas, Pestana Hotels & Resorts, Les Collectionneurs (Chateaux), and European Hotels Collection. Keytours International, formerly Keytel International, your agent in the UK.

Travelling to the EU after UK exit

The nature of the UK’s entry and transport arrangements with the EU as of the end of the transition period (31/12/20) are still being finalised, but we have assembled guidelines on the main areas of concern for those travelling in an EU country which may help to allay your fears. 

We are keeping this page as up-to-date as possible with any new information released by the EU and UK government but please ensure to check the UK Government website and the FCO website for the latest information about travel to EU countries.

Driving in the EU

Concerned about whether your UK driving licence will be valid after the UK leaves the EU?

We are assured that you do not currently need to apply for an International Driving Permit through the post office if you are travelling across Spain, Portugal or France. However you may need to apply for a permit if any of the following apply to you:

  • You only have a paper driving licence
  • Your licence was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man

If you are looking for more detailed information about driving in the EU, the Department for Transport is updating their website as information becomes available:

Taking your own car: You are now required to obtain a green card from your car insurance provider if taking your own car with you, which is usually free and which provides you with evidence that you have the minimum required level of insurance cover for the EU countries in which you are driving. You are also required to have a GB sticker.

If you do need to apply for an International Driving Permit, you can do so here:

Travel Insurance

We always recommend buying travel insurance for travel abroad to insure against any number of issues that may arise before or during your trip. It is particularly recommended to ensure that the policy you take out covers you for any potential medical costs you may incur whilst you are away.

The EHIC card will not give UK citizens access to free medical assistance in the EU after 2021. However your travel insurance policy usually includes cover for medical and logistical support if you fall ill or require repatriation. We recommend reviewing this prior to departure to ensure you have adequate cover for your needs.

Entry Visas

The EU and UK have agreed to allow UK travellers to enter the Schengen area without the requirement of a visa for short trips (up to 90 days a year). However please note you must ensure you have 6 or more months left on your UK passport and it needs to be less than 10 years old to be able to travel.

For more information on this matter, you can visit the government website: 

To check your passport validity visit:

Travelling with pets

Please note that a Pet Passport issued in Great Britain is no longer valid for travel with pets to an EU country or Northern Ireland and there are a number of requirements you must meet to ensure your pet can travel with you.

You will need to contact your vet at least one month prior to travel to make sure your pet or assistance dog can travel with you to the EU. 

Information on travelling with pets in Europe can be found on the UK government’s website:

ABTA’s website provides very comprehensive information about most of the new requirements. Visit:

Information correct as of 04/01/2021